Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tropic Thunder

Dude, this is a movie pretending to be another movie disguised as a funny movie. I want my 2 hours back. To be totally fair however, I must say this movie had a few bright very funny moments. But not nearly enough.

One of my "good movie" rules is that there has to be at least one character who is likable or believable. This movie had none. Despite a very high-octane cast who clearly had a good time poking fun at themselves and the Hollywood movie machine, the result was not entertaining to me. The most fun I had to pointing out how many other movies and TV show they made fun of. But, there has to be more to a movie than that - for me. Oh, and the Tom Cruise role was gross as it was intended to be. His dance scenes were the best laugh for me.

Yes, this movie has won, and may continue to win, awards. To me, that means industry insiders are at least pretending to be amused with this "travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham". Best Comedy of 2008? Hardly. If the movie audience has lowered it's expectations to this level, I fear for the future of comedy.

Watch this movie if you must, but deny me of the chance later to say I told you so.

No comments: