Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

This is a pretty good monster movie. Some monsters win and other lose. The good guys are not totally good and the bad guys are not totally without merit. I like that. As super hero movies go, this was not quite up to par, but Hellboy is not really a super hero. He is more of outlaw hero, somewhere on the lines of Hancock of late.

Ron Perlman is a lot of fun to watch and listen to. The rest of the cast is fun, but one can't help make comparisons with"Fishstick" and C3PO of Star Wars fame for instance.

And I always appreciate an unexpected ending which leaves room for yet another sequel. No spoilers here, but I really didn't see the scripted ending coming. And by that I don't mean the final fight scene. That is totally predictable, but its the last 30 seconds of the movie that surprised me.

Watch this movie with someone who will not go all oogey on you when the flesh-eating tooth fairies show up.


No comments: