Friday, January 23, 2009

Ghost Town

He sees dead people, and they annoy him. Here is the premise. A guy who really does not like people has a near-death experience and afterwards sees all the ghosts of Manhatten. Not enough? Wait there is more. All these ghosts want a favor from the guy who hates doing anything for anyone, dead or alive. It's New York remember.

Writer and Director David Koepp does not usually do movies like this. From Jurassic Park to the most recent Indiana Jones movie (both his screenplays), he is usually about the big-budget action thrillers. This romantic comedy is part homage to Manhattan, part ghost story, and part slapstick. I usually like the out-takes from movies, but in this case the movie is much funnier than the mistakes.

I don't often laugh out loud when I watch a movie alone. With Ghost Town I had to pause the movie in a couple of places because I was laughing so hard. Maybe I had one of those low comedy threshold days?

Ricky Gervais is fantastic in this role. You can't fake a gag reflex like that. And it was funny to me every time he did it. Greg Kinnear does his usual excellent job here in the primary ghost role.
Téa Leoni is a darling in this role as the absent-minded scientist for which all the main male characters are competing.

Watch this movie with someone who will get all the subtle gags and quick witty banter.

No comments: