Friday, July 31, 2009

Nobel Son

Like smart movies? Like fast editing set to perfect music? You may just enjoy this one.

Like totally reprehensible "bad guy" characters? Alan Richman excels at playing the guy we love to hate. Think about it; ever since Die Hard he has played the detestable bad guy who "gets it" in the end. I have a hard time seeing him any other way, but he came close in Bottle Shock - sort of.

Actually everyone in this movie plays their role well. Danny Devito puts in my favorite performance of his since Throw Momma From The Train. What is a "reformed obsessive compulsive" anyway?

Bryan Greenberg plays the title role of a the son of a Nobel Laureate who is kidnapped in the weirdest chain of events I've seen in a movie since The Inside Man. This story is so well told I"m still not sure of some of the "facts" in this story. Where does this story really begin? Who sets whom up?

I loved Shawn Hatosy as the villain here. Was he or wasn't he crazy? You decide.

And if any of you guys out there have Mary-Steenburgen-with-a-hand-gun fantasies, this movie will be a good fix. Hands down, that is my favorite scene of the movie. Wait for it. Savor it.

The only real odd man out in this cast is Bill Pullman as the detective. Don't get me wrong I like Bill Pullman, but I had to force myself to believe his character. Colombo he ain't.

Finally I have to give a little love to Eliza Dushku. I would totally fall for this character. Eliza honey, you got game.

Watch this movie with someone who likes guessing whats going to happen next, and then watch their face when the plot twists.

No comments: