Wednesday, July 29, 2009

An American Affair

This movie is not at all what I expected. I was thinking between Porky's and The Graduate. What it really is more of something like a cross between JFK and Summer of 42.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this movie. What an interesting way to tell another version of a popular JFK conspiracy theory. I found all the characters believable. Anyone who was alive at the time should recognize someone they know. And, if you went to parochial school, you must surely relate to several scenes here.

Cameron Bright is next to brilliant as this young teen who struggles with the realities of growing up in the 60's. Many themes are familiar but nothing is dwelt on too long.

Gretchen Mol is delicious as the artist-plaything with odd ties to the CIA and the White House.

Period footage is well used to give this piece of historical fiction a basis of truth. I enjoyed it all much more than I expected.

Watch this with someone who is not all that familiar with events and see if they find it plausible.

3 comments:

Another Blogger said...

I know this is a stupid comment, considering this is the first time I have left ANY comments on your reviews, BUT...

The place where the Obamas currnently call "home" is officially known as the White House; yes, two words,both capitalized. I guess that leaves Gretchen Mol curiously tied to the CIA and me!

BLSCarl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MoviesWaWa said...

Thank you Another for correcting my geographical spelling. It is not all about YOU however. There could be others just like you too whom Ms. Mol's character would prefer to be tied. Your original point is well-taken though. Thanks for sharing.