Friday, July 10, 2009

Knowing

This is one of the better dooms day movies I've seen in a long time. There is a good story, and likable characters. The story begins before the opening credits roll. The music fits. The special effects are just that - special.

I very much liked that they did not give us too much information too soon. The story was told in due time.

Nicolas Cage is very good here. No over the top gestures. No over the top acting. This goes in the books as one of his better efforts. Don't get me wrong, there are times and places when the gestures and over-acting are perfect. This is not one of those movies.

Chandler Canterbury, who played an 8-year-old Benjamin Button, is pretty amazing here. He has an ability to speak volumes with his face. That skill is well beyond his years. I look forward to much more from this bright little star.

I'm not sure I love how they chose to end the movie. I see the point, but I don't think it was necessary. Ending with the shots from the air would have been tidy enough for me.

Watch this movie with someone who will not try to rush the telling of this interesting story.

No comments: