Friday, March 7, 2008

Rendition

Call it whatever you want, it's hard to watch on a screen of any size. Director Gavin Hood (this is the best thing he has done unless you are a big fan of the Stargate series) spins a tale that is almost too confusing. Following an old Hollywood trick, this story is not told in the order it all happens. But, Hood does it so well, you don't mind, and you may not even realize. This earns his effort the "well told" honor.

Now we have to decide if it is a good story. I have to admit to being a bit on the fence about it at this point. It totally depends on your point of view.

Meryl Streep (arguably the best actor of my generation) is at her evil best here. Her character reminds me of way too many people I met during my tenure in DC. Bad memories. I expect you may add this character to your list of top 10 movies villains of all time.

Alan Arkin (The Russians Are Coming, Catch 22, and Little Miss Sunshine) is perfect as a U. S. Senator caught in the middle with a tough choice to make. As a Senator I know once put it "Some of my friends are for it. Some of my friends are against it. Me? I stand by my friends."

Jake Gyllenhaal (Jarhead, Brokeback Mountain, and Zodiac) does a solid job as a government drone who is put in an awkward and unfamiliar position of having to make a choice and a difference. Trust me, the federal payroll is chock full of folks just like this character.

But the best acting in this movie has go to Omar Metwally. This is his first role in a US movie as far as I know. Please let it not be his last. Maybe his character is telling the truth, maybe he is not. Metwally's acting was so good, I forgot it was acting.

Why have I saved Reese Witherspoon (Pleasantville, Just Like Heaven, and Walk The Line) for last? As much as I like her, I didn't like her in this role. She left me feeling flat. She inspired neither sympathy nor passion like she did in "Walk The Line". It looks like she was just going through the motions here. I know she can do better.

Watch this movie with someone who understands how government works, if that is possible.

No comments: