Friday, March 14, 2008

Margot At the Wedding

I know I said I would no negative reviews, but I have to make an exception here. One would think that a movie with names like Nicole Kidman, Jack Black, Jennifer Jason Lee, and John Turturro would be a winner. In this case, one would be wrong.

To steal a very good line from the movie, "It's not that he is ugly. He's just completely unattractive." That is exactly how I feel about this movie.

Perhaps this dark comedy was beyond my comprehension. Perhaps the time change has my humor threshold off kilter. I don't know. But I do know that I hated this movie enough to warn you all.

I don't see any value in telling a story about depressed, delusional, self-absorbed New Yorkers, who come together as dysfunctional family and neighbors for a wedding in the Hamptons. It's almost like a "R"-rated version of a Seinfeld episode without the good plot lines, the likable characters, the funny turn of events, and the 22 minute time limit.

I kept waiting for it to get good and worth the watch. It never came. I was very disappointed. I felt sorry for the kids in the story and loathed everyone else. That is not the emotions I think a worthy watch should evoke from us.

No doubt the producers would consider it a success that I'm making this much fuss. They clearly got to me. I don't mind it when a movie makes me angry. That is a valid emotion from a film. This one did not make me angry, it made me sick of the type of people depicted here.

Okay. Enough. Watch this one at your own risk. But please, don't spend good money on it.

No comments: