Sunday, March 16, 2008

Gone Baby Gone

No this is absolutely not a Dr. Seuss story. That would be something more like "Spitzer Hires A Ho". But I digress.

In his first directorial outing, Ben Affleck (Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare In Love, and Sum of All Fears), shows that he can write AND direct, and on occasion, act. In this movie however, he just writes and directs. He is not yet a Streisand or Eastwood.

Ben's baby brother Casey (Oceans 11,12, and 13) does an outstanding job here. Acting opposite Michelle Monaghan (Bourne Supremacy, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith), how could you not do your best? The two play a couple of underestimated private investigators hired by a family to find a lost girl. Of course I can't tell you WHAT they find, but it's way more than one might expect.

Morgan Freeman plays a totally different kind of character than I expected. And I loved it. Another favorite of mine, Ed Harris (The Right Stuff, The Abyss, China Moon, and on an on) proves he can still howl with the big dogs.

There are a few other very worthy supporting actors, but I fear if I get into them all, I will by default, give away too much of the plot, which is by no means, predictable. This is much more of a "Who Done What?", than a "Who Done It?"

Watch it with someone who enjoys guessing what will happen next.

No comments: