Sunday, March 9, 2008

Bubba Ho-Tep

This is not a hoax. There really is a movie called Bubba Ho-Tep. And no, it's not part of the Blue Collar Comedy series. It is however, a very funny movie, albeit a little campy.

Director Don Coscarelli is much better known for his Beastmaster and Phantasm series. I hope he does more comedies in the future. This movie is very much along the lines of "Sean of the Dead". If you liked Sean, and you know I did, you'll also probably like this movie.

Ready for the story line? Okay, stay with me on this. Elvis is not dead. And you know I believe that too. Neither is JFK. This story answers the question of where they both are and what they've been up to. If that does not hook you, please read on.

Elvis and JFK team up to take on the reanimated Im-Ho-Tep, ala the Mummy series. As Ho-Tep's remains are on tour of the US, thieves make off with them but then lose them during the getaway. Somewhere in east Texas, Ho-Tep comes back and starts gobbling up residents of a old folks home. He dons the boots and cowboy hat of his first snack and goes along his merry way with Elvis and JFK hot on his trail. That's all I can tell you.

Bruce Campbell (The Majestic, the Spiderman series, and TV's Xena series) is the perfect Elvis. Ossie Davis (Grumpy Old Men, Do The Right Thing, and TV's Roots) is very convincing as JFK. Trust me on that.

Be prepared to suspend belief and let the concept of this well told story wash over you like a foam party. You know it's wrong, but it's too much fun to stop.

Watch it with someone who is unsure is Elvis is really gone.

1 comment:

The Beej said...

I absolutely loved this movie. Bruce Campbell is my hero.

Anyway, I really like your reviews. Currently I am helping promote various films that are being released to DVD. If you are interested email me back at my work email - bj@m80im.com and we can discuss.

Keep on reviewin'!