Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Venus

So I said I would not do negative reviews. Actually, what I said was that it would take way too much time to bash all the movies I don't like. So, for the record, here is the exception to that rule. When something comes out on DVD which I think is going to be okay, and in fact, is not, I'll let you know.

What would you expect from a stellar cast that includes Peter O'Toole (best Actor nomination 2006 for this role), Vanessa Redgrave, Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon for you Potter fans), Leslie Phillips (voice of the Sorting Hat for you Potter fans), as well as other very familiar faces and voices from British cinema? Exactly! I expected a very entertaining romp, well written and well performed.

"Venus" recently out on DVD from Free Range Films is just too creepy to be totally enjoyed. Why? An 80-something guy constantly semi-successfully hits on a 19 year old daughter of a friend. Need I go on? Okay.

Peter O'Toole plays an old (duh), but still working, actor in London. His friends are also old actors from stage and screen. The scenes with just the old guys are wonderful, and almost worth the watch itself. This movie could have been called "Grumpy Old Brits". The pub scenes are great.

Jodie Whittaker, a fresh new face, plays the spoiled and damaged girl who is sent to live with one of the friends in a sort of care-giver position. Sadly, she can barely care for herself.

Over the course of the movie, the O'Toole character brings her out of her shell in a series of sometimes hilarious, sometimes pitiful scenes.

All the basic rules of a good story are here. Characters you like, and some you don't, all evolve through the journey. There are surprises and good theatrical elements. It is a good story well told. BUT, be warned, it's a little creepy. It has an "R" rating for good reason.

I intended to go back and watch "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Goodbye Mr. Chips", my two favorite O'Toole movies, so that I don't remember him as he is case in "Venus".

Watch it at your own risk.

No comments: