Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Traitor

Don Cheadle is a great actor. Hands down, one of the best unsung greats of the current generation. He plays good guys, bad guys, funny guys, pathetic guys, and pulls them all off in a way that everyone can relate to. This movie is first and foremost about his character Samir Horn.

I hope our Islamic brethren find this movie as respectful as I believe it to be. I'll hear otherwise, I'm sure, if I'm wrong about that. I found this story to be as patient and thoughtful as The Kite Runner and almost as nail-biting as Spy Games. Both of those stories get high marks from me. While I liked this movie, it was a bit slow, but only if you are expecting an action thriller, which this movie is not. It is billed solely as a Thriller, and I suppose that fits it best. There is some action, tastefully placed, but not enough to get your heart pounding. This movie does however get you mind working. Given the title, which side is right in calling the main character a Traitor? No spoilers here.

The other great performance in this film is by Guy Pearce. Despite being primarily from Australia, Pearce completely pulls off his role here as the son of a Southern minister now working as an anti-terrorist FBI agent. Well done Mr. Pearce.

Watch this movie with an open mind.

No comments: