Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Burn After Reading

If this is comedy, it is very much on the dark side. Perhaps I wrongly expected something different from the Cohen brothers. Most their other work I truly enjoy.

And perhaps I also wrongly expected more from such a big-name cast. George Clooney and Brad Pitt, John Malkovich, Francis McDormand, and Tilda Swinton are all capable of much better things. Don't get me wrong. The acting here is very strong on everyone's part. In some cases brilliant.

My problem with this movie is that it does not fit my definition of a good story well told. First the story. My problem with the story is that it is incomplete and leaves way too much needed information until the end or it is left completely out. No wait, that is the opposite of a well-told story. Either way, the story is lacking. None of the characters, major or minor, are in the least bit likable. They are all badly flawed and unredeemed people. Thank you Cohens for reminding us what a messed up species we belong to.

If you must, watch this movie with someone who is trying to find dates via the Internet.

No comments: