Friday, October 31, 2008

John Adams

Not long ago a business associate sent me an email asking if I had seen HBO's John Adams. I had to admit that I had not. But, I had read the biography upon which the mini-series was based. At the time I suggested that if the movie was half as good as the book, it was well worth a watch. I never heard back from the guy who asked about it, but I hope he enjoyed it as much as I did.

You need not be an American history buff to enjoy this movie. You don't even need to be an American. I watched this movie with someone who knew almost nothing about the American revolution, and they totally enjoyed it too. That speaks well for the high production values of this work as 13 Primetime Emmy awards also attest.

Paul Giamatti is absolutely amazing in this role. Laura Linney did true justice to how important Abigale Adams was to her husband's and the revolution's success. The two together make movie magic on a geometric scale. When you add in the other absolutely believable performances by the rest of the cast. Stephen Dillane as Jefferson and David Morse as Washington were wonderful. But Tom Wilkinson steals the show as Benjamin Franklin. And unless you've read a bit about the real Franklin, you won't recognize this portrayal.

Watch this movie with someone who loves a great love story. Yes, this IS a great love story.

No comments: