Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Iron Man

Welcome back Robert Downey Jr. Again. His over-the-top performance and self-mockery totally "make" this movie. The whole cast is great fun. More on them later.

Superhero movies are supposed to be fun. This is a very fun superhero movie. I remember the joy of losing myself in a good action comic when I was a kid. This movie brought that all back for me.

Love interest Gwyneth Paltrow and business partner, an almost unrecognizable Jeff Bridges, are perfectly cast for this story. Paltrow is subdued and Bridges is overtly brilliant. How unusual are those performances? Find me another one where the usual performances are so flip-flopped.

We have good guys and pretty girls. You have evil bad guys and stern government agents. Pesky press and super-serious military officers. Oh and the robots are great comic side-kicks.

Watch this movie with a big bowl of popcorn and someone who thinks YOU are a Super Hero.

No comments: