Friday, October 3, 2008

The Forbidden Kingdom

You don't have to be a fan of the Kung Fu, or more correctly "Gung Fu", genre to enjoy this movie. In fact, it will probably help if you are not. A healthy part of the plot pokes a little fun that direction. And if you pay close attention, there are elements of some other fairly popular movies tossed in for fun.

You may see scenes that remind you of LOTR or Indy Jones. You may see homage to The Wizard of Oz and the obvious Karate Kid.

Jackie Chan and Jet Li were wonderful together in this oddly funny buddy movie. I have to admit that I enjoyed it far more than I expected. I am not a Kung Fu fan, but I did enjoy this movie. Michael Angarano was very, very good as the American teen in the middle of this goofy fantasy story. If you don't think Jet Li capable of comedy, think again. He even surprised me with a wide open mouthed belly laugh. I wonder if he used a laugh double?

Watch this movie with someone whom you will enjoy talking too during the movie. It is hard to resist.

No comments: