Friday, January 8, 2010

Eid milad Laila (Laila's Birthday)

This movie is best for patient people. It is slow. There is not much dialogue. It could be depressing for some people. Do I sound like a medical commercial? That last 3 minutes make the wait well worth it. I watched this a few days ago and I still smile when I think about this ending. Brilliant.

Any Daddy of daughters should relate to the main character played perfectly by
Mohammed Bakri. Anyone who has struggled against the odds with little or no perceived success will see a bit of themselves in this character.

This movie is a bit of a cross between Falling Down and O Horton (I heartily recommend both by-the-way). Not as violent as Falling Down and not as long or funny as O Horton, this story strikes an endearing balance.

If nothing else this movie gives a very interesting look into daily life in Palestine. Of course I have no idea how realistic this view is, but I found it riveting. Really.

Watch this movie with a daddy or a daughter.

No comments: