Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Wrestler

First let me say that I'm not a fan of professional wrestling. I did however like this movie. Yes, there are wrestling scenes and they are both staged and graphic. But they are an essential part of the story.

I have liked Mickey Rourke since The Pope Of Greenwich Village. On and off over his career he has played some very iconic roles. Randy The Ram must be added to that list. Some have said this story is too autobiographical for Rourke, but I don't think there are enough parallels to make that claim stick.

Marisa Tomei plays opposite Rourke and both were nominated for their work. The only thing I can figure out on the Tomei nomination is how hot she looked. Her acting was not all that special.

The story starts at a particular low point in the life of Rourke's character and spirals further down after that. I kept waiting for the character to hit bottom. I don't think he ever did. No spoilers here, but this deeply flawed person makes one terrible decision after another. You can make your own decision about the ending.

Watch with movie with someone with a strong tolerance for bad behavior.





No comments: