Monday, April 14, 2008

We Own the Night

Please tell me Joaquin Phoenix (Parenthood, Gladiator, and Walk the Line) is not the new Richard Burton. Dark. Brooding. Playing primarily one type of character. I would like to see more from him.

I know Mark Wahlberg (Perfect Storm, Four Brothers, and The Departed) can play more that just tough guys. Please tell me he is not the new Kirk Douglas. Way too good-looking to play "normal" guys, way too smart to play just one type of role.

Had thus movie starred Richard Burton and Kirk Douglas way back when, it would have been very little different. Some of you may see that as a good thing, and some may say that would be a bad thing. I see it as a good thing. A good story is a good story regardless of who plays the roles. But, casting the wrong people can ruin a good story. In this case, the two big box-office names were brought in and given Producer status in order lend their names to the project (my assumptions and opinions only). But they do make a good story more watchable. But they do not make it a great story.

Robert Duvall (The Great Santini, Colors, and Falling Down) is the glue that keeps this cast together like the old pro he is. The other two play his sons. Yes, be prepared to suspend belief. Though they choose different life-styles, their father is the one constant in their lives. And it is ultimately the father that units the boys again with a single purpose.

I think the thing I liked best about this movie was that the things I expected to happen never did, and the things I did not expect, kept happening. So, either I'm getting worse at guessing, or writers are getting more clever. Hopefully for all of us it is the latter.

Watch this movie with a sibling you've always secretly admired.

No comments: