Thursday, April 17, 2008

Shaun of the Dead

"You've got red on ya". We've all had days like this I'm sure. Nothing seems to go right, despite our best efforts. Old friends make it tough stay close to them. And everyone around us is irritatingly... dead.

While it may be possible to get too much of a good thing, this movie is most likely not it, just yet. Spin-offs and sequels will probably hit that particular low mark.

Simon Pegg (Band of Brothers, Hott Fuzz, and soon to be the new Scotty in Star Trek) appears to be the front man for a goofy group of pun-loving film makers, who are fascinated with zombies. Why? Who knows. But at least in the case of this movie, I'm glad they got it right at least one.

According to my youngest daughter, she has never seen me laugh so hard at a movie. What does that say about me or the movie? Not sure. It could be I had a low comedy threshold that day, or maybe, just maybe this movie is very very funny. I like British pub humor, and this movie is choker block full mate.

Shaun's video game obsessed chum in this story is played by Nick Frost (Kinky Boots and Hott Fuzz). We've all had friends like this, more or less. So, we can understand how poor Shaun feels, and why he keeps him around.

The supporting cast is brilliant. The soundtrack is spot on, and the sight and timing gags a perfect. This might be a dumb story well told, but it still goes on my list of movies worth a watch again, or for the first time if you have not seen it yet.

Watch it with someone who likes puns and ironic humor.

No comments: