Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Black Snake Moan

"There ain't but one kind of blues."

If you like Blues, you could enjoy this movie with your eyes closed. Watch it just for the music. But I strongly recommend keeping your eyes, and your mind, open.

At first, I was very hesitant to watch this movie, thinking it was going to be like Venus. I could not have been more wrong. Samuel L. Jackson sings and 'plays' some crispy, smothered in gravy, blues. Delicious.

"God done put you in my path. And I aim to cure you of your wickedness" spoken by the same voice that declared "Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord" (Pulp Fiction) is just plain movie magic to me. Christina Ricci plays one messed up little girl. Does she play any other kind? Samuel L. Jackson sings her back to health. Can I get an AMEN?

Anyone who has spent more than 48 hours in the South should be able to recognize every single character in this movie. And you know I don't mean the actors. This is the most believable movie I've seen in a very long time.

Having said that, there is plenty to not like about this movie. The "R" rating is well earned, and some scenes are very hard to watch. And I don't just mean Justin Timberlake in military fatigues. Director Craig Brewer (Hustle and Flow) has brought another brilliant story to the screen. Almost subliminal flashbacks tell the worst part of this story, but they are so well done that I felt haunted, but not sickened. And it really is a pretty sad, sick story told over and over every day in all parts of society.

Towards the end of the movie is a scene where Jackson's character sings "Black Snake Moan", an old blues tune updated and electrified. It brings the various parts of this story neatly together. I love when that happens. Watch this scene a time or two after you've seen the whole movie. It's good enough to be it's own music video.

Watch this movie with someone you want to hold tight, and hang on.

No comments: