Friday, February 15, 2008

3:10 To Yuma

I know Russell Crowe can do drama with action (Gladiator and Cinderella Man). I know he can do drama without action (Beautiful Mind). I know he can do comedy (A Good Year). But, I was not sure he could do a Western. I'm still not sure. Too much of his Maximus character was obvious in 3:10 To Yuma. That quiet, smirking, supremely confident leader from Gladiator showed up again to lead a group of miscreants who rob trains and stage coaches full of money.

Christian Bale (Reign of Fire, Batman Begins, and The Prestige) does a wonderful job playing a handicapped Civil War vet who is trying to make a go at ranching in 1870's Arizona. He has his reasons for everything which unfold and the story progresses. In the process he actually gains the respect of the bad guy (Crowe) he is trying to bring to justice as a hired mercenary.

My highest regards go to the supporting cast here. WOW. Peter Fonda (personally I think this is the best thing he has ever done) has the most recognizable name, but there are plenty of others who are absolutely perfect in their roles. Alan "Tandy Cakes?"Tudyk (Knight's Tale) is so much fun as a Veterinarian who tries to doctor-up a posse tossed together to go after Crowe's character.

There were a couple of plot flaws however. For instance, in one scene, the bad guys are chasing a stage coach as it approaches the safety of an army fort. The stage drivers are shot, and the passenger is burned alive inside the stage, but the army never comes out of the fort to challenge them or chase them away. All this happens within sight of the forts gates, and seemed very odd to me.

Another minor problem I had with this movie is the gun fight towards the end. A very small Arizona railroad town with a very loud fast-moving gun fight going on, and yet people are still out wandering around town, selling fruits and veggies? I don't think so.

But, all my petty negatives aside, this is a good story, well told.

Watch it with someone who is good at guessing other peoples's motives.

No comments: