Monday, February 22, 2010

Avatar: An IMAX 3D Experience

Yes, it's true, I went to a theater. But, just like with Star Wars, only after many friends told me it was a movie I had to see. And I believe this movie is as fun and industry-changing as was the original Star Wars. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me try and organize my thoughts:

What I Liked:
The scenes and sounds in an IMAX theater are always special.
This movie did not over-do the 3D effects. Instead they were used to enhance subtle things throughout the movie.
Buying tickets online and printing them at home to avoid the box office lines is genius.
IMAX is a science and they don't have any bad seats. I sat about 1/3 the way up on the right aisle and was still able to enjoy the effects.

What I Didn't Mind:
The story was a cross between FernGully and Dances With Wolves. I am getting tired of the "Aliens Good - Humans Bad" stories however.
$16.50 for a seat? Almost worth it.

What I Didn't Like:
Everything I don't like about going to movies at a theater were reinforced with this viewing.
Crying babies. Who takes a baby to loud action movie and expects them to stay asleep or even quiet? And who does not take their crying babies OUT? I knew there was going to be a problem when there were strollers in the hall leading to the theater.
People kicking the back of my seat. People pulling the back of my seat to exit their row. I understand it on an airplane but in a theater? Come on. People leaving the movie in a less than subtle way because their drink was way too big.

Bottom Line?
You really should watch this movie in 3D in an IMAX format. I suggest a show very late at night on a week day to avoid the crowds and the babies. I will not be disappointed if this wins Best Picture.

No comments: