Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Proposal

First, let me say that this movie was far funnier than I expected. Then, let me say that I had pretty low expectations. Several scenes had me laughing hard enough that I had to pause so I would not miss potential funny bits. Fortunately there were plenty of these. The pace of the movie is very good and none of it feels wasted.

Sandra Bullock is wonderful as the overbearing boss who is forced to see her employees in a new light. Ryan Reynolds playing opposite her was a little tough to swallow for me. Their 8 year age difference is a little too obvious for me, but aside from that, this RomCom totally works.

Betty White steals the show as the eccentric Gammy to Reynold's character. Craig T. Nelson and Mary Steenburgen are super as his parents who cope with the surprise wedding announcement.

What would you be willing to do to land or keep your dream job? I think we might all be surprised to find out how far we'd go. For that reason it is pretty easy to relate to the premise here. And the characters are so over the top it's fun to insert ourselves into the story somewhere along the line. You'll notice how all the major characters are either very very good or very very bad, or very something else.

The bottom line - the moral of the story is that its easy to lie to someone you don't love.

Watch this movie with someone for whom you would go to great lengths.

No comments: