Friday, June 12, 2009

The International

Not quite as cool as 007. Not quite as hip as Austin Powers. Not quite as international as Bourne. And not quite as believable as The Interpreter. I guess that sums up my opinion of this movie. Not quite.

Clive Owen carries the whole cast on his shoulders here, and almost totally over-acts every scene. Almost. Compared to his melodramatic style everyone else seems stiff. Unless everyone else in the story is also over-acting, Owens seems fake to me.

Naomi Watts had no business taking this part. I found her very hard to believe in this role. She seemed to young, too soft, and too inexperienced, to be a New York District Attorney. Sorry, I just couldn't buy it.

I was doing okay with how things played out in this story until the scene in New York's Guggenheim museum. Two NYPD guys have to "clear" security to get their weapons in the museum, but somehow 10 minutes later there are half a dozen guys with Uzi machine guns shooting at them. And how is it that after a five to ten minute gun fight in one of the most famous places in the city there are no sirens or police outside the museum? These things just didn't feel right to me.

Watch this one with someone who really really likes Clive Owen.

No comments: