Saturday, November 8, 2008

Mongol

After being on my rental list for a very long time, I was happy to see that it was well worth the wait. Epic in scope. Grand in scale. Simple is message. This movie is very much a work of art. Filmed in parts of China that were so remote crews had to build roads before equipment could be transported in.

Totally in Mongolian with English subtitles, it was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film in 2008. A very worthy nod.

Based on historical records with a great deal of fictional license, this is an interesting look into the early life of Genghis Khan. It is a war story. It is a love story. It is a personal discovery drama. I'm convinced everyone will take something different away from this movie.

Every character is totally believable and most are lovable. This is not so much different from movies like Braveheart. Just in a language very few of us understand.

Watch this movie with someone who will enjoy the battle scenes as much as the love scenes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job, I am glad you gave a reviw on this. I loved the movie and I am not one to read a movie, however I did on this on and enjoyed every minute. Great Movie!