Saturday, July 26, 2008

PU-235 : The Half Life of Timofey Berezin

While this movie is at times painful to watch, with sad themes, sad realities, and truly bad people, it is one of the smarter movies I've seen in a long time. You don't need to know much about the old Soviet regime to understand the plot, but it helps. The dialogue is in English, but the accents are very strong. I recommend the subtitles.

There is enough comic relief at the appropriate times to keep the audience from getting totally depressed by what is happening to the main character. I don't usually bond with characters quickly as I did with "Timofey". His plight is so real so fast, and is so totally believable that I was taken with him within minutes. Paddy Considine does an absolutely amazing job with this role. He is a total pro. His character goes from devoted nuclear technician and family man to corporate terrorist AND devoted family man. His progressively zombie-like state would make any of Hollywood undead a little nervous.

I don't want to spoil the ending for you, but I found it very satisfying. While it was a surprise, and not exactly what on might want, it ties things up nicely, and is not rushed.

Watch this movie with someone who like butterflies. No kidding.

No comments: