Saturday, May 17, 2008

Madagascar

You may know it as the 4th largest island on the planet. You may know it to be home to 5% of the world's plant an animal species. You may know that Lemurs are a endemic to Madagascar. But you know know their parties rock?

Most of us have seen animals in a zoo. Some of us have seen animals in the wild. But, none of us have seen what goes on behind the scenes like it is depicted here, although a few of us have suspected it for a very long time.

Do you think animals who are born and raised in captivity long for the wild life? This movie answers things for us once and for all. And as some of us suspected, you can blame everything on the Penguins.

If you skipped this movie when it was in the theaters because it was a cartoon, I totally understand. I did too. If you skipped it because it looked silly, I get that too. So did I. It's okay, the it's just as much fun on DVD as it would have been. Perhaps more so unless you watch it with a room full of kids.

Imagine a bunch of bored, pampered New Yorkers sitting around wishing for a life out in the real world. Imagine they get a chance to spend some time out there. Wouldn't that be funny? Yes, it would. Now, put those New Yorkers in animal costumes and let the fun begin.

I enjoyed this movie far more than I expected. I don't often get a DVD from Netflix that I like so much I watch it twice before sending it back. This is one of the few. Yes, I watched it the second time to show it to someone who had not seen it, but I enjoyed just as much, if not more, for doing so.

Voices are provided by some classic New Yorkers who filled those costumes perfectly. But, the scene-thieves were the Penguins and the Lemurs. There is plenty of multi-level humor for both kids and adults, but please feel free to laugh at all of it. Make sure to watch the extras and the Christmas short. Good stuff.

Watch this DVD with someone who knows both coasts of this continent.

No comments: